5 Delightful Derry Beaches for a perfect sunny and sandy day out along Northern Irelands scenic Causeway Coastal Route
5 Delightful Beaches in Derry: Discover the Charms of the Causeway Coastal Route
Explore the captivating beauty of Derry Beaches with our top 5 beach recommendations.
County Derry, located in Northern Ireland, offers visitors a chance to experience the region’s stunning coastline and pristine beaches. Whether you’re seeking a tranquil escape or a fun-filled day by the sea, Derry’s beaches have something for everyone. Here are our top 5 beach recommendations to include in your Derry adventure.
- Benone Strand Stretching over 7 miles, Benone Strand is one of Northern Ireland’s longest beaches. This Blue Flag beach boasts golden sands, captivating views of the surrounding cliffs, and ample space for a range of activities such as swimming, sunbathing, and water sports. The nearby Benone Tourist Complex offers facilities like a playground, golf course, and cafe, making it an ideal spot for a family day out.
- Downhill Beach – Downhill Beach, part of the breathtaking Causeway Coastal Route, is a popular destination for surfers, walkers, and nature enthusiasts. With its dramatic landscapes, nearby attractions such as Mussenden Temple, and ample space for beach activities, Downhill Beach offers a delightful blend of leisure and adventure.
- Castlerock Beach Located near the village of Castlerock, this Blue Flag beach offers a serene atmosphere and stunning views of the Atlantic Ocean. The beach is perfect for leisurely strolls, beachcombing, and picnicking. Don’t miss the nearby Mussenden Temple and Downhill Demesne for a dose of history and impressive architecture.
- Portstewart Strand Managed by the National Trust, Portstewart Strand is renowned for its golden sands, rolling dunes, and scenic views. This Blue Flag beach is a haven for water sports enthusiasts, families, and nature lovers. Explore the nearby Barmouth Wildlife Reserve for birdwatching and wildlife spotting opportunities.
- Magilligan Point Beach Situated at the entrance of Lough Foyle, Magilligan Point Beach offers visitors a tranquil retreat with panoramic views of the Donegal hills. Its secluded location and unspoiled beauty make it an ideal spot for those seeking peace and quiet. The nearby Martello Tower, a historic defense structure, adds a touch of intrigue to your beach visit.
Derry’s captivating coastline offers an array of beautiful beaches to suit every visitor’s needs. From family-friendly destinations to secluded hideaways, these five delightful Derry beaches are sure to make your Derry adventure a memorable one.