Discover the coastal treasures of Mayo Beaches with our guide to the top 10 Wild Atlantic Way beaches in the region.
10 Mesmerizing Mayo Beaches: Unwind on Ireland’s Stunning Shores
Discover Mayo’s coastal treasures with our guide to the top 10 beaches in the region.
County Mayo Beaches, located on Ireland’s west coast, is home to some of the country’s most breathtaking beaches. With miles of pristine shoreline, these coastal gems offer visitors the chance to relax, explore, and enjoy a variety of water sports. Here are our top 10 beach recommendations for your next Mayo adventure.
- Keem Bay, Achill Island Nestled between towering cliffs on Achill Island, the sheltered Keem Bay is a secluded haven of turquoise waters and soft white sand. This Blue Flag beach is perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and taking in the stunning coastal views.
- Mulranny Beach, with its golden sands and clear waters, is a picturesque spot to spend a leisurely day. The beach is also a gateway to the Great Western Greenway, a popular cycling and walking trail that offers spectacular views of Clew Bay.
- Silver Strand, Louisburgh This crescent-shaped beach, surrounded by dramatic cliffs, offers visitors a sense of tranquility and seclusion. The unspoiled beauty of Silver Strand makes it an ideal spot for peaceful relaxation and leisurely strolls along the shoreline.
- Carrowmore Beach, Louisburgh Located near the charming town of Louisburgh, Carrowmore Beach is a popular destination for families and water sports enthusiasts. With ample space for picnics, beach games, and water activities, this Blue Flag beach is an ideal spot for a fun-filled day.
- Old Head Beach, Louisburgh Old Head Beach, with its golden sands and calm waters, is a favorite among families and swimmers. The beach is overlooked by the picturesque Croagh Patrick mountain, providing a stunning backdrop for a day by the sea.
- Dooega Beach, Achill Island Situated on the southern coast of Achill Island, Dooega Beach offers visitors a peaceful and serene experience. Its secluded location, pristine sands, and captivating views make it a must-visit destination for those seeking tranquility.
- Bertra Beach, Murrisk Located at the foot of Croagh Patrick, Bertra Beach is a popular spot for walking, birdwatching, and beachcombing. Its extensive sand dunes and tidal pools make it an ideal location for exploring the diverse flora and fauna of the region.
- Roonagh Pier Beach, Louisburgh Roonagh Pier Beach, located near the ferry port to Clare Island and Inishturk, is a small, pebble-filled beach with stunning views of Clew Bay. It’s an excellent spot for watching boats, fishing, or simply enjoying the coastal scenery.
- Ross Beach, Killala With its extensive shoreline and panoramic views of Killala Bay, Ross Beach is perfect for beachcombing, walking, or relaxing by the water. The nearby town of Killala offers an array of restaurants, pubs, and historical sites to explore.
- Rinroe Beach, Carrowteige This secluded, rocky Mayo beach in Carrowteige is an ideal location for those who appreciate rugged beauty and solitude. Rinroe Beach offers stunning views of the Atlantic Ocean and is perfect for a quiet escape.
Whether you’re seeking a family-friendly destination, a secluded hideaway, or an adventure-filled day of water sports, Mayo beaches offer something for everyone. So pack your beach gear and set off to explore the mesmerizing shores of County Mayo.